Sunday 19 February 2012

Messenger Bag

My friend Clare bought me the pattern for the Amy Butler messenger bag for my birthday last year and I couldn't wait to make it. It's a really big messenger (perhaps a bit too big for me if that's possible).

The great thing about the bag for me is that it can fit a big file in it meaning if I have a meeting etc outside work I can take it all with me in one bag without having to take a separate bag or, heaven forbid, a carrier bag! I also really like the amount of pockets in the bag - I loooooove pockets and compartments. I particularly like the zip pocket on the exterior which you can keep quite train pass etc in without having to open the whole bag.

I have used the bag for work but I also used it for a quick overnight trip when I didn't want to take a weekend bag with me as I was getting the train to London and going straight to meet a friend and off to a concert. I could easily fit in my wash bag, PJs and a change of clothes and was really comfy to travel with.

I didn't really measure the strap for myself just trusted the pattern. I do think the strap is a bit too long for me (and I'm 5' 7) if I do make this bag again I will shorten the strap or perhaps make it an adjustable strap.

The exterior fabric is some grey suiting which is from Abakhans in Manchester. The internal fabric I think is Amy Butler fabric which I bought from John Lewis.

I do like Amy Butler patterns they are well drafted and very "wordy". I didn't have any problems with this pattern apart from one of the internal zips being a tiny bit too short. As usual Amy over-estimates how much fabric you will need for the bag but as long as you know this you can plan accordingly.

This bag would also be great for a man and there is a photo on the pattern of the bag in "man" colours. My husband uses a messenger bag for work so perhaps when his bag dies I'll be making him another one.

1 comment: