Tuesday 15 May 2012

TWD - Pecan Sticky Buns

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie is pecan sticky buns. I would say this was the most laborious recipe to date, not difficult just time consuming. To be honest I don't think I read through the recipe before starting so I didn't realise how long it would actually take to finish.

The dough was made in my mixer (otherwise known as Lola). There is no way this could be done by hand but Lola made light work of it. As usual I only made half of the recipe and let me tell you there is no way this is Weight Watchers friendly!! There is a ridiculous amount of butter in it but it makes a delicious brioche dough.

You then leave the dough for it's first rise until it has doubled in size.

T

The dough is then knocked back before it going for a second rise, this time is a long one 6 hours at least in the fridge, I left mine overnight.

The next day you roll out the dough and fill it with a ridiculous amount of butter before folding it up and rolling it again. Folding and rolling, folding and rolling. Then you roll it out and fill with brown sugar, pecans (I left out the pecans) and cinnamon and roll again and refrigerate.

During these stages there was a great deal of resting and putting in the fridge and long-winded stuff like that. Then you fill a dish with butter and brown sugar and slice the dough into rounds and place them cut side down onto the sugary mixture. You then leave them - shock horror - again to rise for a couple of hours. I cut the ends of my roll to neaten them but then added them to the dish anyway because I didn't want to waste any! I didn't think they would rise as much as they did but they really filled my dish nicely. Just before I put them in the oven my fabulous husband appeared with some pecans (I hadn't been able to find them before) and so I tucked a few underneath the buns, that is why they aren't particularly well positioned on top of the buns in the finished product.

And here is the finished product!

They were delicious, really lovely. All of the family ate them and I even took a couple to the cinema on sunday afternoon and ate them with my daughter while watching Avengers Assemble. They travelled well and a tissue was enough to sort out the sticky fingers! Will I make them again? To be honest I know that I won't they were lovely but sooooooo much hassle and time consuming.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, thank you for your visit.
    Your buns look great - to be honest I did forget to add the pecans on top but did not miss them.
    I won't re-make the sticky buns but the "modified" brioche...yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, the recipe is not difficult but time consuming but your Pecan Sticky Buns look delicious and I am glad that you and your family enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the recipe!! a lot of work and time.. but the end result made it worth it!! yours turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! I loved them too. It was quite the baking process but well worth it! I had to pick up my running for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job ….they look wonderful! I really loved making these although the process was long…I made mine over three days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your movie theater snack idea! Yours look good, but I agree that I don't know if I'd make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our blogs have a similar theme! (baking, sewing, knitting, other random things). I am glad I found yours! I also enjoyed the process of learning to make these rolls but probably won't make them again... Alas, you win some and you lose some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nieces loved them, but I think the time commitment might put them off these. At least until another holiday rolls around.

    I love bringing homemade baked goods to movies or hockey games. So much better than what's available to buy and it makes the whole experience feel a little more special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were SO good. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were tasty, but definitely a bit of a committment :-)

    Definitely a treat for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with you on not doing this again. But the brioche dough was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! They were truly yummy, but alas, a lot of work. Great for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your buns are really lovely! I am new to the group and was not able to make these! I look forward to the next recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, these are very time consuming! The taste makes up for that for sure, though.

    ReplyDelete