Sunday 1 April 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie, Pizza Rustica

So this week's TWD is pizza rustica, although it technically isn't pizza at all. It is more of a quiche but the pastry is sweet. Sounds a bit weird, well it is!!

So the dough was easy enough to make, a few minutes to do in the food processor.

Then you separate it into two balls, one twice the size of the other. I should say I did half the recipe (as usual) and decided to do individual tarts rather than a large one using three of my individual tart tins. Here's my dough in the balls on my work top and then after I'd rolled them out and lined the tins.

You then fill the dough with a ricotta and egg mixture and some proscuitto ham and then top with the smaller piece of dough which has been cut into strips. The strips should be cut with a fancy cutter but sadly I do not have one (nor do I really need one!) so mine were cut (very slapdash) with a knife.
Here is the finished article. My daughter loved hers and ate the whole thing with some salad while it was still warm from the oven. I wasn't too keen and nor was Mr DJ. The sweet pastry was very strange with the cheese filling and to be honest I'd rather just have a slice of quiche! So this was my first Dorie recipe that I won't be doing again. I'm glad I had a go though.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like it. On to the next recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people either really loved the sweet crust or didn't care for it so much. I like the mini version. It's always nice to have your own :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun that you made mini tartletts out of it though! :) Even if you didnt like it. We liked ours hot - even though it was rather bland, but we didnt love it, I think we are going to make it again with different fillings....

    Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete